MOTIVATIONI thrive when it comes to execution and building teams. I have a proven track record of quickly understanding all facets of a business, including the technical, operational, financial, and marketing needs, creating strategic executional plans, and building, leading, and motivating the teams required to deliver against that plan.
- 24 years of consumer, technical, operational, and executive (CEO/COO/CTO) leadership across a broad range of industries: eCommerce, Outdoor, Flash Sales, Smart Energy, Advertising, Emergency Management, Gaming, and Software
- Key strengths are pride in ownership, a powerful can-do attitude, team building through strong leadership, successful experience in product development through full development life cycles, strong teamwork orientation, and complete ownership.
- Proven ability in managing multi-disciplinary divisions (including engineering, business intelligence, marketing, finance, G&A, operations, logistics, and customer service)
- Experience and strong working knowledge in wide technology areas.
- Respected leader with key focus on motivation and mentoring my teams.
- Broad international experience including launching products in over 20 countries, managing international teams, and building international partnerships
2011-2015 - CEO/COO/CTO The Clymb
- Hired as first technical leader in a fast growing flash sales outdoor gear retailer, grew the team and business from under $10M to north of $50M in just over 2 years.
- Quickly grew from VP of Technology to COO, leading all major company cross-functional initiatives and day to day operations, including Engineering, BI, Logistics, Fulfillment, Customer Service, and Digital Marketing
- Promoted to CEO, and asked to lead a turnaround of the company. Within 30 days reduced fixed and variable expenses by 50%. Over 4 months led a process to find a strategic partner, and successfully sold the company to our largest competitor, providing a positive outcome for creditors, vendors, customers and the team.
2010-2011 - EVP Product & Engineering, GridPoint Inc.
- Responsible for all products of Gridpoint Inc, a private smart energy company providing a comprehensive set of offerings from solar panels to smart charging of electric vehicles.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary, geographically distributed team of ~50 people across product management, program management, software engineering, hardware engineering, quality assurance, and product operations.
2009 - President & CTO, Emicus
- First employee and overall manager for a local startup, focused on helping people get better information before, during, and after natural disasters and weather related emergencies.
- Built the team, managed product delivery, drove fund-raising, ran the office and all HR functions, and even wrote pieces of the code.
2005-2008 - CTO, Marchex Inc.
- Responsible for all products of Marchex Inc, a $140,000,000+ a year public company, specializing in local search and advertising.
- Managed a team of ~80 people responsible for all of technology aspects of the company, including development, test, product management, production operations and corporate operations.
- Revamped their software development team and processes, including replacing about 1/3 of the staff
- Consistently delivered products ontime and under budget
- Managed the team through 2 major technology acquisitions
2002-2005 General Manager - Xbox Live & Platform, Microsoft Corporation
- Driving force behind Xbox Live - one of the world's first social networks and the world's most successful online console gaming service
- Created the Xbox Live team and business from scratch - starting with about 10 people, growing to 50 people at launch.
- Managed the entire 250 person software and services team (product design, development, documentation, planning, operations, usability) for Xbox 360 & www.xbox.com.
- Virtual CEO for the Xbox Live business with direct functional responsibilities for the product, and matrix responsibilities for sales, marketing and business development.
- Xbox Live grew from no users to over 2 million paying users in the 3 years I was there (revenue of over ~$100,000,000 per year) and is now over 20 million members
- Key spokesperson and partner representative for entire Xbox business/product, both in the US and internationally in Europe and Asia.
1999-2002 Product Unit Manager, Founder - Xbox, Microsoft Corp.
- One of the first 10 people on the Xbox product, I helped get the product approved with senior management, formed the initial product vision and strategy, and recruited/managed the 50 person platform software team.
1996-1999 Group Program Manager, Product Unit Manager - IIS, Microsoft Corp.
- Helped Microsoft enter the Internet era with the web server business. Started managing a small team (3 people) designing IIS 2.0, and grew to managing then entire team of 50+ people that delivered IIS 4.0.
1992-1996 Program Manager/Lead - Windows NT, Microsoft Corp.
- Designed and delivered the Win32 software development kits for Windows NT 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, and Windows 95.
EDUCATION 1987-1992 BASc in Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo
INTERESTS Running, Skiing, Hiking, Reading
REFERENCES Available On Request